Review: Gathering Darkness by Morgan Rhodes

Gathering Darkness
Author: Morgan Rhodes
Series: Falling Kingdoms #3
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Release Date: December 9th 2014
Book Length: 407 pages
Publisher: Razorbill
Love, vengeance, and greed spark a deadly quest for magic in the third book of the Falling Kingdoms series 

Prince Magnus has just witnessed torture, death, and miracles during the bloody confrontation that decimated the rebel forces. Now he must choose between family and justice as his father, the cruel King Gaius, sets out to conquer all of Mytica. All Gaius needs now are the Kindred—the four elemental crystals that give godlike powers to their owner. But the King of Blood is not the only one hunting for this ancient, storied magic. . . .

THE KRAESHIANS join the hunt. Ashur and Amara, the royal siblings from the wealthy kingdom across the Silver Sea, charm and manipulate their way to the Kindred, proving to be more ruthless than perhaps even the King of Blood himself.

THE REBELS forge ahead. Princess Cleo and vengeful Jonas lead them, slaying with sweetness, skill, and a secret that can control Lucia’s overpowering magic—all so they can use the Kindred to win back their fallen kingdoms.

THE WATCHERS follow Melenia out of the Sanctuary. They ally in the flesh with King Gaius, who vows to use Lucia’s powers to unveil the Kindred.

The only certainty in these dark times is that whoever finds the magic first will control the fate of Mytica. . . . but the four element gods of the Kindred have other plans.

Review


Gathering Darkness was without a doubt one of the best books I have read of 2016, yes I know its January but still. For those of you who have stumbled across my reviews on Falling Kingdoms and Rebel Spring, you will have noted that I really enjoyed the books but there was something missing, that initial spark or driving force being liking and loving a book. My feelings of Gathering Darkness- I love this freaking book. It's now one of my favourite series.

Falling Kingdoms and Rebel Spring are like the stepping stones in the series, slowly preparing you for what’s to come, drawing you into this fantasy world full of love, betrayal and vengeance, which makes Gathering Darkness the book that dominates them all, leaving you a little breathless, in a state of shock and with a little trickle of fear that things are only just getting started.
“Hatred is like fire. It burns the one who harnesses it. It’s also extremely hard to see more helpful truths through its flames.”
Gathering Darkness makes quick work of bringing you up to speed on the past events of the series and soon enough the plot is under way and your immersed once again in this ferocious magical world. Cleo, Jonas, Magnus and Lucia are locked and loaded in the this explosive sequel, better yet each is unrecognizable since book one, they continue to grow and change and not sometimes for the better but you can’t help but love them anyway, their journey is not one for the light hearted but their courage and commitment to their beliefs is contagious.
“Some sought revenge against their mortal enemies with the edge of a sword. Her plan for vengeance began with the edge of a smile.”
I must commend yet again the multiple POV’s and how wonderfully entangled the writing is, you move smoothly from character to character and kingdom to kingdom but you don’t feel jolted and confused, everything is effortless. We also get to know the trickster Kraeshian sibling’s Prince Ashur and Princess Amara. Seemly innocent in the beginning but I assure you they have their own schemes and prove to be one of the biggest players in this ruthless game searching for the Kindred.
“Fear and intimidation are tactics that work very well on those who allow themselves to be afraid and intimidated.”

Now I must talk about the romance, once more the romance never takes center stage but these mere snippets of moments are filled with such delicious tension, angst and smothering desire that I find myself developing the most unhealthy obsession with these characters and ships. I have fully jumped ship and I regret absolutely nothing, they are my life now, so sad and I will not be swayed.
“It was desperate, this kiss. Violent, even.”
As I’ve said above this book was explosive, I mean fast-paced, full of action, don’t-you-dare-put-me-down-or-you’ll-miss-something-good, all consuming plot that makes the pages fly by. There were so many plot twists, shocking betrayals and although it pain’s me to even think of them but heartbreaking loses. I didn’t think Rhodes could be more brutal but again I’m in awe of her dark and bewitching skill to completely change a character that makes you-the reader throw away all those past opinions and feel a sense of kindred to them.
“That is your greatest mistake. The love you felt for him wasn’t love at all—it was obsession. Real love means sacrifice, not selfishness.”
I may never recover from the cliffhanger, I’m actually telling people “don’t read this book unless you have Frozen Tides within arms reach.” And I stand by it. So many revelations come to light but it is not without sacrifice, I’m actually in complete denial about one aspect of the ending, I refuse to believe it, it’s cruel, devastating and just plain agony to think about. I currently have Frozen Tides within arms reach and it’s a battle every day to not tear my way through it like a possessed animal but the mere thought that Frozen Tides could end even half as badly as Gathering Darkness stills my too eager fingers because then I will be left waiting in agony for the next instalment and much-needed answers. I’ll eventually break down but I have some pretty epic books coming up on my TBR so I’ll stay strong, for now.

Gathering Darkness outshines its predecessors and shows a glimpse into just how giant and complex this world is and what exactly Rhodes has in store for her readers. 

You think you know the Kindred? 
You think you know what everyone is fighting for? 
Think again! 

Share This:

8 comments:

  1. I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS REVIEW!!!
    But unfortunately, I skimmed it since I haven't read the book yet. But 5 STARS!!! I absolutely cannot wait to read this now! We're going to have much to discuss, judging from the Pirates of the Caribbean gif on fandom ships you have ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, you are too kind ;) although I would be lying if I wasn't thinking JUST WAIT TIL ERIKA GETS A LOAD OF THIS - SHE WILL HAVE TO READ IT NOW ;) muhahaha *evil laugh*
      I'm so ridiculously excited for you to read it, it's literally unreal, I am bursting with everything we must discuss the very second you finish :P
      A lot to discuss ;)

      Delete
  2. Oooo this series looks so great. Wow 5 stars, I really need to get going on this series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, definitely give it a try! Although Falling Kingdom's is a good first book to the series, I'll just stay that book 2 is much much better, each book has been better than the last! :D

      Delete
  3. AHH I'm so glad you loved this book and it felt like that missing spark in the first two books was finally in this one! I've actually only read Falling Kingdoms, but Rebel Spring, Gathering Darkness and the other books in the series are on my TBR pile!! Just have to get around to them...sometime...xD
    Geraldine @ Corralling Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must get to them soon, you can such a good series just waiting to be read ;)
      I know the feeling, soo many books... where do we find the time? If only we didn't need to sleep haha :P

      Delete
  4. This review = perfection.
    Seriously perfect! I've read Falling Kingdoms and have the other two on hand ready to jump into. I seriously can't wait. I think I'm going to go continue this series now...

    #
    Carrie @The Book Goddess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, thank you so so much lovely!
      Oh my god, you must read them right now, I seriously need your thoughts soon EVERYTHING.
      I can't bring myself to read Frozen Tides, I'm actually worried there will be a cliff-hanger I won't recover from hahaha :D Definitely continue, you will love it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...