Review: Not If I See You First by Eric Lindstrom

Not If I See You First
Author: Eric Lindstrom
Series: Standalone

Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance
Release Date: December 1st 2015
Book Length: 320 pages
Publisher: Poppy
The Rules:

Don't deceive me. Ever. Especially using my blindness. Especially in public.

Don't help me unless I ask. Otherwise you're just getting in my way or bothering me.

Don't be weird. Seriously, other than having my eyes closed all the time, I'm just like you only smarter.


Parker Grant doesn't need 20/20 vision to see right through you. That's why she created the Rules: Don't treat her any differently just because she's blind, and never take advantage. There will be no second chances. Just ask Scott Kilpatrick, the boy who broke her heart.

When Scott suddenly reappears in her life after being gone for years, Parker knows there's only one way to react-shun him so hard it hurts. She has enough on her mind already, like trying out for the track team (that's right, her eyes don't work but her legs still do), doling out tough-love advice to her painfully naive classmates, and giving herself gold stars for every day she hasn't cried since her dad's death three months ago. But avoiding her past quickly proves impossible, and the more Parker learns about what really happened--both with Scott, and her dad--the more she starts to question if things are always as they seem. Maybe, just maybe, some Rules are meant to be broken.



Review


Not If I See You First was an exceptional debut that managed to captivate me from page 1 and not let go until long after reading. Lindstrom creates a MC that refuses to let her lack of sight get in her way, she’s downright ferocious at times. Parker is strong, funny, and sarcastic, she wants to be treated like any other teenager. This book will make you laugh, cry; both with joy and sadness and more profoundly change your outlook on life, I can’t think of a better way to start your 2016 than with this heartwarming book.

            Parker was in a car accident at age 7 in which Parker lost her mother and her sight. Parker’s life has been difficult ever since but she refuses to let her lack of sight hold her back, she still attends school, hangs out with her friends and even going on daily morning runs. What really rocks Parker’s world is losing her father, as a result her auntie and cousins have come to live with Parker so she can stay in her home and school, an environment that she is already familiar with. Adding to Parker’s traumatic few months, she soon discovers that Scott, her former best childhood best friend and boyfriend, who betrayed Parker so deeply years ago, is now in her high school.

Parker is fantastic, she’s just so inspirational and not because she’s blind or considered disabled and you feel sorry for her, nope none of that bullshit, because of her no nonsense attitude is freaking infectious, she’s a thorny rose and I absolutely adore her and what’s more is that she’s a little bit of a mess and selfish and inconsiderate at times; in short, she’s no perfect princess and hallelujah for that! More main character’s like Parker and her relationship’s with her friends are what we need more of in YA books and of course it’s terrific that we get to read about character’s with disabilities but to write it well is another thing, Lindstrom’s writing was so emotional and wonderful allowing you to experience everything Parker goes through.

            The romance was my favorite; oh there aren’t enough words to express how much I enjoyed it! I understood both characters, I understood their worries and concerns and was able to be on both sides at the same time, but I also see why each held on to their past mistakes but watching them break away from that was so heartwarming and uplifting; Parker and Scott’s bond is truly one of a kind.

Overall Not If I See You First was an emotionally charged debut that will take you on a roller-coaster of emotions and soon enough you won’t want it to end. I was so sad to say goodbye to Parker, her character development was so fantastic but I look forward to more of Lindstrom’s work. I highly recommend this to literally everyone, go read it!



Share This:

14 comments:

  1. This one looks good! I'm so glad you loved it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, an author that actually gets the blind thing right? I am intrigued; although, I normally stay away from books with blind people, because seriously I live my own blind life everyday. xD I completely agree with rule 2, I can't tell you how many times at Uni I would have been walking to class perfectly fine, when people insist on helping me, when I didn't need it, and more than once they managed to get me lost! Really, only help a blind person if they ask for it. :) I'm glad you enjoyed this book. Amazing review! :)

    http://www.bookrantorrave.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? There's hope that authors can actually get it right, thank god! As well as being a great book, it's actually quite educating, like you said with the rules. I love books that are able to be fun and enjoyable put also send a message or learn something from.
      Thank you so much Catherine <3333

      Delete
  3. This one sounds really interesting! Definitely a diverse read imo - I'm looking forward to reading this one soon! Glad you enjoyed it!
    Geraldine @ Corralling Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I hope you enjoy it, when you read it. Yes it was so unique and diverse and it's about time I read more of these books :D

      Delete
  4. This one sounds so unique and good! Parker sounds like a really strong main character. Glad you enjoyed it Cody! :)

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really was, she was so bold and fierce it was so fun to read about her. Thanks Tasya!

      Delete
  5. I keep discovering all these new and fantastic books on your blog. This is yet another book that I'm adding to my Goodreads, another book that I'm going to need to read since you gave it 5 stars! Parker and Scott sound like very human and amazing characters, and I can't wait to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely are Erika, completely different than our usual Fantasy characters but it's a good and welcome change! Ohh you must let me know if you get around to reading it :D

      Delete
  6. This book sounds amazing! I've heard a lot about it, but I've never been sure if I'd enjoy it a lot. Usually books like this annoy me, but it sounds like something I'd really enjoy. I think I will love Parke, and the story sounds uplifting. Thanks for recommending this! I can't wait to read it :)

    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you enjoy it, the book manages to be a fun read while also tackling some tougher subjects but it's just so heart-warming!! Thank you Denise, I'm excited for you to read it now =P

      Delete
  7. I haven't heard about this book yet, but it seems like a perfect book for me to read since I've been trying to get into more contemporary types of books. So thanks for reviewing this, and in return I will recommend you a book! You should try North of Beautiful! Its an amazing book and I think you'll like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss, you must read it. Definitely one to be added to a list of TBR Contemporary!
      Thank you so much for the recommendation, I've added it to my TBR and I must say it sound's great, quirky goths? I must read this, sounds so unique :D <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...